Prasad Bolla's SharePoint Blog

Click Here to go through the Interesting posts within my Blog.

Click Here to go through the new posts in my blog.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Creating a Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller

I have a confession... I am a developer, a true developer.  I am infrastructure illiterate, meaning I very, very, very infrequently (like maybe twice ever) install a domain controller by myself.  I don't assign IP addresses, heck it's rare that I install Windows Server from scratch (we use network installs internally, I don't even have to think).
For demos, I usually just download a VHD that someone else built, and usually that VHD is a Windows Server OS that is a domain controller with lots of other stuff installed on it.  Self-contained, sure, but this time I needed a separate domain controller.  Time for me to get out of my comfort zone.
Thank goodness this has been written up and blogged on by many, many people.  I don't even need to provide screen shots of anything here, just a few links and you can create your own VHD that is a domain controller for use with your other VHDs.  Sweet.
  1. Running Windows Server 2008 R2 – Installing and Creating the Lab Domain Controller (Part 1) - this is a fantastic article that includes lots of pictures to make you feel all warm and fuzzy.  No guessing, just follow along.
  2. Create a Virtual Active Directory Domain Controller - just in case you want to verify things in the above link, double-check this list. 
I did vary a few things from those walkthroughs.  For instance, I used the IP address 192.168.0.1 for my domain controller, and didn't install WINS.  Other than that, just follow along the steps in the above articles and it couldn't be simpler.

No comments:

Post a Comment